2015년 10월 31일 토요일

Book Review - Animal Farm by George Orwell

The book ‘Animal Farm’ reminds me of my high school days when I prepared the essay test as a university entrance exam. The common topic of the essay test was democracy vs.communism. If I had read this book then, I would have found it easier to understand those two concepts. Anyway, it is about how communism originates and falls. When animals start revolution, every animal is treated equal and most of them are satisfied. However, once Napoleon dictates, animals are classified, and their lives become miserable. Through this story, I want to raise three questions: Why does this ideal system come to an end?, Who do i think look similar to among animals in this book?, What is the best way to lead students as a teacher?

1. Why does this ideal system come to an end?
I think communism cannot be idealistically applied to the world world. That is because of human nature. I mean, to keep communism successfully in a society, human beings should be satisfied with their status quo and they should be reasonable. If there is only one person who isn’t, this system will collapse. By nature, humans want to be better than others with regards to money, honor, knowledge and so on. Therefore, communism cannot be the achieved in a world world. Then, the answer is capitalism? Yes, but not just the way it is. These days, in Korea, the rich seem to make more money, and  for the poor, life is getting tough. Many young able people want to work and make money, but fail to find jobs. Many people give up getting married or giving birth because of financial problems. There goes something wrong. We need some systems to improve capitalism. We need to give chances or support to people in difficulties. Then, more people may feel happy and the world become a better place to live in.

2. Who do i think look similar to among the characters in this book?
Since i  live in a democratic society, this story cannot be perfectly applied to my country. However, sometimes I face the situation where the leader tries to control us and force us to follow unreasonable things. A few years ago, I was more like Boxer. I didn’t notice what was going wrong. However, now I look similar to Benjamin. Though I know that something is going wrong, I don’t want to make trouble for fear of losing something. but I don’t want to live like that way. I want to develop my critical thinking skills and confidence to say what are the problems when something is wrong.

3. What is the best way to lead students as a teacher?

Since I am responsible for taking care of my students, I sometimes put my ideas or rules before their opinions. The worst part of it is that I think it is natural as a teacher. I know that teenagers become emotional and it causes many problems, but I should respect their opinions as best I can, and they can be better than adults sometimes.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기