2015년 10월 31일 토요일

Book Review-Pride and Prejudice

Before I read the book ‘Pride and Prejudice’ i knew that it was a love story, so I was always wondering why the title was like that. It could have been more romantic one rather than this philosophical one. Anyway, after I read this book, I realized why it was. The main characters, Darcy and Elizabeth represents pride and prejudice respectively. They are very humane and good persons despite their character flaws. However, once they meet each other, they realize that they are imperfect and they finally overcome their flaws. Through this book, I learned 3 lessons.

First, people can change their personality or personal flaws if they are ready to listen to others and change. When it comes to Darcy, he may feel really bad when Eliza says that he is so arrogant and doesn’t know how to be nice to others. However, Darcy accept this somewhat harsh advice, and then reflects on himself. That is how he changes his character. Second, as we get old, we need to be open-minded and listen to others. Mrs. Katherine reminds me of one of my acquaintance. She seems to believe she is always right, and wants to speak rather than listen, so sometimes she makes others uncomfortable. As we get older, we experience many things, and naturally believe my belief and my opinions are right. We need to be careful not to do so, or we might lose more. Third, I decide to read as many books as possible. I cannot experience every little thing in my life, but I can do it indirectly through books. When I read the part where Elizabeth talks with Mrs. Katherine who insists that she should not marry Mr. Darcy, I am so impressed How Elizabeth talks back to her. I love this part most. When someone makes an unreasonable demand, I feel indignant but find nothing to tell. If I learn how to react through books, I can act more sensibly. I want to be a woman who tells her opinion with logic and discernment.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기