2017년 1월 2일 월요일

Book Review_The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

This book deals with 4 main characters; Tomas, Tereza, Sabina, and Franz. Apparently, Tomas is a womanizer, but it is not a simple problem. He seems to find himself through intimate relationships with many women, and also it is true that he only loves Tereza. Before I read this book, I just thought that this kind of guys were trash and they just made excuses but I come to know that surrounded by helpless situations, and unsatisfaction, people can pursue something that most poeple consider abnormal.
When it comes to Tereza, can we say that she lives a happy life? In her entire life, she tries to posess Tomas. She always suspects him and actually it is not 'suspect' becuase Tomas always meets other women. Tereza knows Tomas is that kind of guy who is curious of other women but she cannot live without him. She really loves Tomas, and so does him. I think it is a tragedy of love.


Also, the different perspective of Sabina and  Franz strikes me. Sabina thinks that a person loses everything when he or she loses his or her intimacy or secrets. That is how we live with truth. However, Franz thinks that we can live in truth when we break all the barriers between private thing and public thing. Nothing can be a secret and it is like living in a trasnparent glass house. I always thought that 'frankness' is the best. People sometimes say that I am glass. They can see what I think and how I feel. However, life is very complicated and not a happy ending. Nowadays, I don't want to share my tremendous worries and pains. That is because sometimes that makes others safe and keep a relationship with the people around me. I used to be Franz but now I am Sabina.


Tomas says that it is the frantic who introduce communism in Europe, not the criminals. The frantic say that they didn't expect the results. They knew nothing. However, the fundamental question is not about whether they knew or not. Can they escape from responsibility just because thye are fool? Sometimes, I make excuses saying 'I didn't know about it.' However, ignorance cannot be the answer. Especially for those people who are in charge of important tasks that will affect other people's lives a lot, they should know everything, or at least they should try to know.


One day, a reporter and Tomas' son visit Tomas to ask for his signature on a petition. They think that the petition will change the world or do harm to the government, but they believe it is meaningful to show them they are fearless and ready to fight. Sometimes, I just give up because I cannot change the results. However, as the book says, giving my opinions is different from just silence. This is a small step and finally it will lead to a big step. This little step can change the society. I will always remember that.


-“Human life occurs only once, and the reason we cannot determine which of our decisions are good and which bad is that in a given situation we can make only one decision; we are not granted a second, third, or fourth life in which to compare various decisions.”  


When Tomas thinks whether it is better to live with Tereza or to live alone, he talks like that. We only live once. We cannot compare our decision with others because we don't know what will happen in other decisions.



댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기